Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lucille's Circle

When I first moved into my house, as a renter, the only stipulation to the lease was that I was in charge of planting Grandma Lucille's circle.  A responsibility that I didn't take lightly.  It was the only bit of gardening that was still being don at the place and it was in a prominent location in the yard. I can still hear her saying 'When are you going to plant that circle?', well I was able to get around to it this June. 

My choice of plant material really depend on the plants in excess at work. The last two years we have had an abundance of coleus left by my planting time (always around Mid June).  This allowed me to be a bit quirky with my design.  In 09 I  planting a Yin and Yang utilizing light and dark leafed varieties of coleus. I have always enjoyed the philosophies behind the the Ying Yang.  To all thing there must be a balance. Dark:Light Male:Female High:Low Hot:Cold  At the heart of the philosophy are the two poles of existence, which are opposite but complementary.  Though being opposite each is necessary to truly appreciate the other.   For every summer there must be a winter, and season of growth and season of rest.  Which is one reason I love the Minnesota the Winter provides the cleansing cold to allow the vibrant rebirth of spring and summer.  Whether the battle for balance is internal or its a search for balance in your surroundings, I find its best to do the search grounded... or at least in the ground.

Last year I reprized the coleus symbol theme.  It was simply a smiley face, Electric Lime and Red Ruffles coleus.  It caught the mood of the season, sun a happy time.  As it grew together it was quite the enjoyable thin to see each day leaving my driveway.

This year, due to new efforts at work for inventory control there was not enough of any two coleus to make a statement.  So instead I walked the Garden Center for inspiration, sometimes it only takes one plant to determine the mix of a whole arrangement or garden. Inspiration struck with 'Field of Dreams' Ornamental Corn.  Its a brand new plant variety and was the rave of the California Spring Plant Trials, raised alot of eyebrows and made some waves in the trade magazines. The corn in variegated green & white with not so subtle pink stripes work it.  It can grow 4-5 feet and produce small ornate cobs of corn. 

From there a theme emerged, I added 'Purple Flash' ornamental pepper.  A new variety of pepper w/ purple foliage and pink and white splashes of variation.  The deep color of the pepper should stand out in from of the lightly colored corn.

 Also used was Verbena bonariensis, Supertunia Raspberry Blast, and Margarita Sweet Potato vine.

In the past few years the lines between and ornamentals have begun blurring as more people integrate edible plants into their landscapes and breeders make introductions of plant material that was once plainly a vegetable and now has some amazing unique aesthetic value.  The palette of color and textures for the garden is ever increasing. 

This garden showcases three such plants, while the Verbena and Petunia add a some needed flair.  The others are a new way of looking at some old classic crops, reinventing themselves for a whole new purpose.  Just as we must do, integrate the old with the new.  We must truly appreciate the opportunities given to us and the new and different ways to look at things, and all we can hope to do is try to learn something from it all. 

Each year I will plant Grandma's Circle, it has become a sacred routine, but what I plant can change each year.  That gives me both the structure and freedom of spirit that one needs in life.  Which brings me back around to balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment