Monday, May 16, 2011

Not all Moles are Beauty Marks

 Plans and progress can only do so much... not every outcome can be accounted for or even expected.  It's been a long Winter and with a Spring that isn't standing its ground it is easy to get discouraged.  One unforeseen consequence of having such an abundant cover of snow this year is the survival rate of the Moles. Those little critters must have rested pretty easy this winter.  My yard is checkered with their underground pathways, and they've been busy.  
 In the past I've been one to leave them to their digging, what real harm can they do under that soil.  Turns out grape vines can be tasty, and my Valiant grape plant lost a not so valiant battle with the stealthy critter.  All that is left is a grape twig tied up against its stake, no roots, no connection to the earth.  It's wasn't even uprooted, just de-rooted.  Something must be done.
 I've been on a metaphorical mission of taking back my yard.  It being a yard of a neglect, decades of dilapidation, not because of a lack of love but a lack of time.  I've pledged myself to my yard and plan on bringing it to its former glory and beyond.  But that mission may have to be put on hold as I must literally take back my yard from these underground invaders.  They mustn't be allowed to continue their rampage, the moles will have to face the my wrath for what they did to my grapes.  "I know this... a man got to do what he got to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment